Feature Discussion - preconfigured ehcp
you have some interesting ideas.
I want to say generally: ehcp works tightly with ubuntu/debian system, in terms of software installation, configuration and update. In principle, i did almost nothing manual while installing, used mostly apt-get installation mechanism. As you expect, the results of this principle is this:
* any user gets latest server software (apache, dns, ftp and so on) on his/her server, even if a 6 months old ehcp is installed, for example. becaue, ehcp uses apt-get update and apt-get install, in ehcp installer.
This is a very basic/big difference between other panels (such as ISPConfig) and ehcp. Some other panels release a newer version, whenever a new php is released for example..
I think this explains somewhat your question..
(ubuntu softwares only may get very little (minor version) back of original softwares until a package for it releases. this generally takes very little time. this is done by ubuntu guys)
* Another result: users may update their system easily with apt-get update&apt-get upgrade command. Programmatically, it is a single php command.. But this is a kind of sensitive or dangerous task. maybe not easy to implement in gui, with single click. Because, some upgrade operations may change some sensitive parts of system, and if performed in gui, this may not be recognised. So, this update of software should be performed in console, manually, by server owner... This is what I think now, but we may figure it out in future, we may overcome that sensitive case.
In principle, I try to not change default configurations, as much as possible, since I try to reduce programming tasks and keep system most original. ehcp actually installs necessary software, makes some little configurations in installer and configures system (with normal system configuration files such as /etc/.../default and others..) This resembles what you suggest "pre-configured.". If you think some points of ehcp installer may be more "pre configured" let me know. I am trying to be very open to ideas, suggestions and critics...
* Being light: I tested and recorded new server before and after ehcp installation, I will post full result here, in general, after installation, ehcp core is as low as 40MB ram, other parts is apache, dns, and mysql. Normally, the total of all server software (apahe, dns, mysql, ftp, postfix) is 500MB ram. That maybe because of default instllation of server software, maybe controls the total ram and configures something higher.. I made some modifications in apache config and reduced that size to 206MB.
* Apache: I thought to use another web server such as lighthttpd or some other. I checked one and found to be non-gpl. I remain now on apache to be most conformant, confortable and for general use. Since apache is most generally used, I had choosed this and uses this. But as I mentioned, actually apache is eats much of memory. So, we may consider something newer in future. I am open to this too; needs some coding... current ehcp code tightly works with apache configuration files; functional, may be re-coded by re-implementing a few functions.
In general, I try to keep following principles an try to keep a balance between them:
* easy usage, easy installation, easy programming
* use system installation functions (apt-get)
* keep default config as much as possible
* little code, fast system
* use most generally used software
* integrated web server system
The result of these principle as I mentioned before:
* ui of ehcp; single file installer, installs everything within it; single class file, well commented, structural.. et...
* uses apt-get, hence, latest software, easy to upgrade,
* this is to lower coding overhead, to keep system untouched, standard
* very little code for each functions.. look at classapp.php. some features implemented in a few lines of php code.
* apache, bind, postfix, mysql, php etc.
* ehcp integrates everything using php around mysql db.
On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 5:41 AM, wrote:
> Dear Mr.bahattin
> will apache and other on server get updated along with ehcp update? can
> ehcp update things on server?
> eager to know,
> you have any plans to use different http server on server, do you specify
> compatibility with php versions? I mean, can ehcp work with latest version
> of php, do ehcp has any compatibility issues with any php extensions?
> how it will be if you give ehcp pre-configured ?
> hope you are getting my point know,
> using ehcp for multi-server setup is nice thing,
> what I personally feel is to use some comfortable control panel which is
> very much light weight which comes out of the box (pre-configured for some
> software combination) and which facilitates simple few click interface to
> update software in the server, to ease server management task, if you are
> interested, I wish to input more thoughts, so we can discuss and freeze
> some improvements and you can proceed ahead prioritizing those features,
> what do you say,
> if you can help with implementing some decent automation features and some
> preset pre-configurations, may be it will be helpful as out of the box
> kind of implementation for standard requirements know,
> hope to hear you soon, thank you
> all the best :)
> With Best Regards